background

Monday, January 28, 2013

Tried and True Read Alouds


My most cherished time of the day in my classroom has always been read aloud time. Most days, I try to take out a fifteen minute chunk to read a novel to my class, where they can grow in their auditory comprehension skills and just enjoy. I have gotten in the habit of reading the same books every year, and a few of my all-time favorite read alouds are Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume, Witches by Roald Dahl, Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson, and we just finished up The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Katie DiCamillo.  Recently, we started a new (to me) novel called Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper.  I hear wonderful things about this book, and am excited about adding it into my reading rotation (if we love it.)  If you know a fourth grader or you just love children's literature, I'd recommend all of these fabulous books.  My two very favorites are The Witches and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. Happy reading!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay. Love these ideas. Henry loves to read and has started to be interested in chapter books, which is surprising since there really isn't anything to look at. But he seems to follow along and comprehend what is happening. GENIUS! :)

    ReplyDelete