background

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Walnut Chicken with Basil

I am so excited to share this recipe with you today. I made this dish for Rob and my younger sister, Courtney, a little while back. We all LOVED it. I found it in our Williams-Sonoma Healthy in a Hurry cookbook (great cookbook, btw.)  This was actually my first time making stir fry, and definitely not the last! In fact, I think I'll make it again this week.

Walnut Chicken with Basil
1/2 c. walnut pieces
3 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
2 Tbs. honey
3 tsp. peanut oil
1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
2 large shallots, thinly sliced
3 (5 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, thinly sliced across the grain
1/2 c. packed fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces

Note: It's probably ideal to use a wok, but I just used a large, heavy frying pan.  Also, be sure to heat the oil before adding any ingredients.  I served it alone, but it obviously would be perfect served over rice.

Preparation:

  • Preheat over to 350 degrees F.  Spread walnuts on a baking sheet and toast until lightly browned and fragrant, about 10 minutes.  Immediately pour on a plate to cool.  Set aside.
  • In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, lime juice and honey.  Set aside.
  • Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil in a wok over high heat.  Add bell pepper and cook just until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer bell pepper to a plate and add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan. Add shallots and cook, stirring constantly, until just beginning to brown, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
  • Add chicken to pan with shallots and cook, stirring often, until opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes. Return bell pepper to pan and stir in soy sauce mixture, basil and walnuts. Toss and stir just until basil is wilted about 1 minute longer.  Serve right away.  Serves 4.
(instructions directly from Blender, the Williams-Sonoma Blog)

Lindsey

1 comment:

  1. Yum, I'll have to try this one - looks not only easy but also really healthy! I make your black bean and feta salsa dip all the time, it's SO yum and unlike anything else I've had before. A big hit with my friends - I serve with chilli and lime corn chips, yum!

    ReplyDelete